This question stunned me because there are a million things you can do with your child
So in this post, I will mention a few of my favorite things I like to do at home with Lyna, and some things that I do at school that is homemade.
The number one home activity that I would advocate for, that is convenient, comprises of various learning areas, and is fun == COOKING
**Now I know, you're thinking, ugh cooking? really?! why????
Well first of all, I love to eat, don't we all? Its an amazing learning experience for your toddler, and it doesn't need to entail a hot stove.
Things I like to cook with my toddler
Egg Sandwich
I boil the eggs, then cool it off. But I allow Lyna to peel the egg. She is so interested in cracking the uncooked eggs in the refrigerator, so this is a cooking activity that she loves. Also peeling takes time and concentration, which is lovely for me because then I have Lyna focused on a task while I can do some homework next to her.After peeling the eggs, I would lay out a cutting board, place the egg in a ziplock bag, ill squeeze a little mayo in the bag, and a dash of pepper would go in the bag as well. I'll zip the bag closed, and I will allow Lyna to smash the egg and ingredients up.
I'll give her one slice of bread. When she is done smashing, I will cut a corner of the bag, and I will let Lyna squeeze her eggs onto the bread. = Fun, convenient, and easy
Hot Chocolate
Lyna loves to pretend play with her tea set. So to add to her experience, I would warm up in a microwave for about a minute or so a quarter to a half mug of milk, just so that the milk steams but is bearable to drink.In this activity you can talk about hot features such as the steam, and temperature.
After the milk is warmed, I allow Lyna to scoop some cocoa powder into the cup and I allow her to stir it up. Since the milk is not to the top of the cup, the stirring of the milk will not over flow. I will tell her to blow her Hot cocoa and that she needs to be patient for it to cool down.
Other cooking activities
Other cooking activities I like to do is make smoothies with the magic bullet, cutting bananas with a butter knife, spread peanut butter and jelly. I allow Lyna to measure ingredients for a pancake mix. I let her spread the crust for pizza on the pan. I cook pizza with Lyna using english muffins.Dry pouring with rice
I used a Ziplock container, an old sheet [works for me for easy cleanup because the rice mainly stays on the sheet and when the sheet moves the rice only goes up to the folded corners], and about a cup of rice.Lyna found the container of rice in our kitchen, and would not leave it alone. So I made her, her own container of rice to play with.
I added a spoon from the kitchen, and because we have many of them I let her use medicine cups.
Especially in the Toddler stage, children love to
explore and they especially love to dump and pour,
so this helps with getting her dumping and pouring giggles out.
In addition to rice you can also create
Dry pouring with dry beans
Dry pouring with pasta noodles of all sorts
Elbow pasta
Bow tie pasta
Penne Pasta
We live near the beach, so bringing a bucket and other tools is convenient
Dry pouring with pasta noodles of all sorts
Elbow pasta
Bow tie pasta
Penne Pasta
We live near the beach, so bringing a bucket and other tools is convenient
GOOP
Goop is my favorite. At school we have trays, but at home I use cookie sheets since its what is convenient for me.Goop consists of corn starch and water. There is no certain amount to measure, you can keep adding until you get the consistency you want
In addition to sensory, and messy activities I let Lyna play with
Shaving creme, I prefer the foam bottles, but the gel would work as well [your toddler can watch it change]. Also I prefer the smells of the women's shaving creme compared to mens.
There are also many homemade play dough recipes online. [I haven't yet found, or perfected a play dough recipe to my liking]
Bubbles with flyswater
A cheap, and convenient bubble wand is a flyswater. I actually prefer a flyswater for toddlers, its easier to use, and I notice that toddlers just like to swat the bubble wands any way, so what better way to play with bubble then with a flyswater.Puzzles with photos
Instead of buying puzzles, order photos of your child [I prefer Costco photo because its cheap and convenient for me], cut the photo into two to four pieces, I would tape it with clear tape so that there is no damage to the photo itself, and allow your toddler to play with the home made puzzle. Toddlers love activities that is meaningful to them, which photo puzzles are.
Pretend play
I just went through my closet and cleaned it out. I had about a bag of clothes, shoes, and bags, that I did not wear or use anymore. Lyna went through that bag before I could take it to a donation site. Come to realize that pretend play does not need to "Fit" the toddler. I did not need to buy Lyna a costume or princess outfit. She played with the dresses I was going to get rid of and the purses I had in the bag as well.Kendama
In Hawaii, almost every child I see has a Kendama. So to replicate it and make it possible for toddlers to accomplish the point of the Kendama I took an empty milk carton, but the bottom half off [do not cut the handle off], i tied string to the handle of the milk carton, and I made a string puffed ball on the other end of the string. There you have a home made Kendama.Also I love to shop at Ross for toys compared to Walmart because Ross has marked down toys. Also I find cheap items I can turn into toys for my daughters interest.
By Jadelynn Davis
May 3, 2014




No comments:
Post a Comment