Parents ask me, "How do it do it?" or "How do you drive so far everyday?"
And then I have parents who really know me, "Ho did you check out the surf on your side?" or "Did you go to the beach yesterday?"
And then I have parents who really know me, "Ho did you check out the surf on your side?" or "Did you go to the beach yesterday?"
I work in Honolulu at Keiki Hauoli Children Center at Honolulu Community College. But I live in Laie on the North Shore of Oahu.
-->There's only one thing I hate about working in Honolulu, and it's the absence of nature.
In my entire life I haven't appreciated the nature that I am surrounded with each day until I began school at Honolulu Community College.
-->I've always lived in the country, I spent my life in the country, and I've never been
exposed to a day in to day out city life.
But enough with me...
-->I've always lived in the country, I spent my life in the country, and I've never been
exposed to a day in to day out city life.
But enough with me...
My daughter has been attending Keiki Hauoli Children Center on Honolulu Community College's campus since she was three months old. Our daily routine since then was go to school, come home, eat, bath, and then sleep. Also keep in mind we drive a mere 30 miles to school and 30 miles back.
**I hate the fact that we go to school that's surrounded by buildings instead of trees, I hate
the fact that we bypass ranches and mountains and we settle in a town.
the fact that we bypass ranches and mountains and we settle in a town.
I feel so bad that I live right next to a beach, a mountain, and a ranch, yet I don't take the time to take Lyna to any of those places. I'm surrounded by such beautiful nature and yet I do nothing for it.
|
|
V
Lately I've been making it a point to put my work down for just ten minutes, and sometimes even a half hour and take my daughter to the ranch we live next to. I allow her to run around on the path that surrounds it, and we also feed the horses carrots.


I allow lyna to visit my mom on molokai. On molokai lyna has the opportunity to give back to the land. She waters the plants, she feeds the animals - pigs, cows, chickens, goats, and dogs, she replants the garden, she talks to the animals, and she marvels at the beauty of nature.
Lately i've been trying to my hardest to take Lyna out of the house. As much as I am busy with work, school, and home life, I make it a point to leave the house to go outside at least for 20 minutes. Sometimes we take longer, but as much as Lyna needs to go outside, I need to go outside as well. I am so stressed out that reliving some stress helps me to refocus when I get back to doing work.
For those that live on Oahu, here are kid friendly hiking trails.
|
|
Where i live, i DONT need to go far, its the matter of going out that I have the trouble with.
--So why should I go?
--Why can't I just leave Lyna inside?
--Why can't I just leave Lyna in front of a television?
In the past decade, the benefits of connecting to nature have been well documented in numerous scientific research studies and publications. Collectively, this body of research shows that children’s social, psychological,academic and physical health is positively impacted when they have daily contact with nature. Positive impacts include the following:
Supports multiple development domains.
Supports creativity and problem solving.
Enhances cognitive abilities.
Improves academic performance.
Reduces Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) symptoms.
Increases physical activity.
Improves nutrition.
Improves eyesight.
Improves social relations.
Improves self-discipline.
Reduces stress.
Benefits of Connecting Children with Nature, The Natural Learning Initiative, January 2012. Web, April 13, 2014.

By: Jadelynn Davis
Sunday, April 13, 2014




























No comments:
Post a Comment